The ASEAN Foundation is pleased to organise the 6th ASEAN Foundation Model ASEAN Meeting (AFMAM) 2020 in Hanoi, Viet Nam. This year, the model ASEAN Meeting targets tertiary education students across the ASEAN region to understand diplomacy and how decision-makers of ASEAN Member States address regional issues at the various ASEAN meetings.
Click HERE if you want to quickly register or continue reading below.
This year’s AFMAM will involve the simulation of the ASEAN+1 engagement which address the thematic focus of “The Role of ASEAN Youths in Promoting Networking and Cooperation to Build a Clean and Green ASEAN Community through Sustainable Use of Natural Resources and Protection of the Environment” in accordance with the 2020 Viet Nam Chairmanship. Be prepared to engage in simulations with your ASEAN delegates!
The 6th AFMAM 2020 promises an authentic experience to understand ASEAN affairs and putting greater emphasis on single-use plastic reduction and its impact to the environment. It is also an interactive process where YOU, the students, will role-play various levels of ASEAN officials engaging in various levels of meeting simulations. This is going to be an interesting and delightful experience!
When and where?
The meeting simulation of the 6th AFMAM 2020 will be running from 4 to 6 September 2020* in Hanoi, Viet Nam. Other important dates are:
27 March 2020
Call for applications
172 May 2020
Deadline of application submission
9 May – 9 June 2020
Applications assessment and selection
10 June 2020
11 June – 11 August 2020
Online workshop and coaching for selected teams
3 September 2020
4 – 6 September 2020
Meeting simulation exercises
7 September 2020
ASEAN interested students are required to form a team of seven that comprises six students from tertiary education level as Team Members and one faculty/academic member as Team Advisor. All must be ASEAN nationals and same nationalities in the team.
Teams comprising members and advisor from different universities/institutions, various academic backgrounds, and promoting gender balance are considered advantageous. Persons with disabilities and those from education institutions outside the capitals are encouraged to apply.
- Enrolled as a student of tertiary education institution taking diploma or undergraduate studies (or equivalent level) from any disciplines at education institutions in the ASEAN Member States when the programme takes place
- Between 18 and 25 years of age when the programme takes place
- English proficient, verbal and written
- Faculty/academic member (lecturer or teaching assistant) of a department or faculty of a tertiary education institution in the ASEAN Member States when the programme takes place
- 25 years old or older on 3 September 2020
- English proficient, verbal and written
- Role of Team Advisor
- Focal point of the Team
- Lead and guide the Team
- Advise and coach the Team related to content (possessing general knowledge on issues related to the AFMAM thematic focus)
- Allocate time to participate in two to three online preparatory coaching sessions
- Provide constructive inputs for the improvement of AFMAM
Please register HERE! For your own convenience, we strongly suggest that you have all the following information and documents of all Team Members and Team Advisor ready at hand before starting data entry:
- Personal data
- Full face photo in soft copy (please ensure your file is in JPG or JPEG format and does not exceed 500 KBs)
- Letter of recommendation from respective department/faculty/university/education institution for each person (please ensure that your file is in PDF format and does not exceed 500 KBs). This is written in free format on letterhead paper signed by authorised official of your institution verifying the following:
For Team Members: name, department, faculty, and the current semester you are at
For Team Advisor: name and current status at the institution
- List of five most noteworthy personal achievements of each applicant (please share not more than 5 achievements briefly and concisely, do not write a CV!)
- A Team’s essay on “The Role of ASEAN Youths in Promoting Networking and Cooperation to Build a Clean and Green ASEAN Community through Sustainable Use of Natural Resources and Protection of the Environment” in accordance with the 2020 Viet Nam Chairmanship in not more than 500 words.
USEFUL TIP: Before completing the form, firstly put all your files (be mindful of the required specifications!) in one folder for easy access.
In addition to the above requirements, please submit a 1.5-minute creative video that introduces each personnel (both Team Advisor and Team Members) along with their respective achievements. Post it on YouTube account of one of the team’s personnel and share the video link in the designated space in the application form.
USEFUL TIP: If your video link is too long, please use Bitly (https://bitly.com/), a URL shortening service and link management platform conveniently available online, to shorten it. Please do not infringe other parties’ copyrights relating to your video!
See BELOW for the acceptance process of your applications!
What will you get?
- Free registration/application
- Round trip air travel from the capital city of the country of origin to the venue in Hanoi, Viet Nam
- Accommodation and meals
- An exciting and unforgettable lifetime experience with us and your peers from other ASEAN Member States
Time will not wait!
Please submit your Team’s application by 17 May 2020, 23.59, Jakarta time. Don’t let go of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity of becoming a cadre of future ASEAN young leaders!
*****Only successful applicants will be notified*****